At MakersFactory we offer the following services:
|3D Printing||Laser-Cutting||3D Scanning|
|Design Services||Private Tutoring||Private Events|
Manufacturing is in the middle of a 3D-printing revolution, and MakersFactory has the tech and tools to help you join in!
Our 3D printers can fabricate physical objects layer-by-layer, with high precision and resolution. Your designs can become reality, from product prototypes to personal projects to amazing gifts and trinkets!
We can also 3D print objects in high-strength materials and in full color (see “Options,” below).
What can you do with MakersFactory 3D-Printing?
- Turn your 3D design into reality
- Duplicate a physical object
What you need:
We can accept a wide variety of 3D file types; simply submit your files using our [get a quote] feature and we’ll sort out the rest. Following are the best file types to submit (file types in bold contain color information for color 3D prints):
- .blend (Blender)
- .zpr (ZPrint)
- .wrl (VRML)
- .stl (Stereolithography)
- .obj (Wavefront)
- .ply (Polygon File Format)
- .dxf (AutoCAD)
Options and Materials:
We can 3D print objects with the following machines and materials:
- ABS plastic on PP3DP “UP! Plus” plastic extrusion printer
- ZP151 plaster powder on ZCorp 650 powder printer
- ZP151 plaster powder with Z-Max 90 high-strength epoxy
Ask for ABS plastic if you:
- Are on a budget or want to do multiple iterations quickly
- Do not need color detail on your models
- Want to do heat-treatment to apply a smooth finish
- Want to 3D-print parts designed to snap together or be flexible
- Have a model smaller than 5in x 5in x 5in.
Ask for plaster powder if you:
- Want high-resolution, smooth 3D-printed models
- Require color detail on your models
- Have a model smaller than 15 in x 10 in x 8 in.
Ask for high-strength epoxy if you:
- Want parts that can be polished or machined
- Require parts with extra durability
There is a $50 job minimum (which includes a $15 base fee for all jobs).
3D-printed parts do not have a fixed pricing schedule. Use our get-a-quote feature to receive a quote. Following are some guidelines to follow when designing files to be 3D-printed, to keep the costs manageable:
- Plaster powder models have a 50% extra materials cost for printing in color.
- Parts are priced roughly by volume, so if the quoted price is too high, try reducing the size.
- Models that contain thin or fragile parts will likely cost more, as they are likely to fall off when printing or handling and we may print duplicates so that the print will yield at least one intact copy.
Making things has never been easier, with MakersFactory laser-cutting services! We can cut and engrave a wide variety of materials to produce structural components, interlocking pieces, custom engravings and wood-burned designs, and more!
Our laser-cutter has an area of 12in x 24in; consult with our technicians using our get-a-quote form if you need designs larger than this size.
What can you do with MakersFactory Laser-Cutting?
- Control high-precision laser cuts and engraving with vector image files
- Use “raster” mode to engrave images onto the surface of a wide variety of materials
- Choose between “through” cuts, perforated or pop-out lines, and surface engraving for most materials
What you need:
To use the laser-cutter to cut or burn lines on a material, you will need a vector image file. These files consist of points, lines, and curves rather than pixels, and include file types such as:
- .ai (Adobe Illustrator)
- .svg (Inkscape and others)
- .pdf (if generated with a vector image program)
- .cdr (CorelDRAW)
- .dwg and .dxf (AutoCAD)
If you don’t have digital designs or a vector image file, check out our Design Services. We also may be able to scan your designs and digitize them semi-automatically.
To use the laser-cutter to “raster” engrave an image, you only need the image. If you have a digital copy, any file format will be accepted; if you need the image to be scanned and digitized first, you may need to use our design services.
Options and Materials:
The laser-cutter has three main modes:
- “vector” cutting, where the laser traces a path, cutting through the material
- “vector” engraving, where the laser traces a path but only burns the top of the material without cutting through
- “raster” engraving, where the laser burns an image into the surface of a material
We can combine multiple modes in the same design. If you are providing your own design file, please color-code your designs or use separate layers to distinguish different modes.
You may bring your own materials to be engraved, or we can use materials we have in stock. Following are the materials our laser-cutter can use:
- Wood of any kind
- Acrylic (aka Plexiglas)
- Cardboard, cork board, or other composite wood materials
- Rubber and Silicone Foam Rubber
We can also use the following materials, but not in “cutting” mode:
- Anodized Aluminum
- Coated, Painted, and Treated Metals
- Marble and Stone
We keep 3mm and 6mm MDF (medium density fiberboard) and transparent acrylic in stock.
There is a $50 job minimum (which includes a $20 base fee for all jobs).
Pricing varies greatly with the intricacy of the design and the material being used. The only fixed price schedule is for “raster” engraving, which costs $0.30 per square inch of design. Following are some guidelines to keep laser-cutting costs manageable:
- The larger the total length of the lines in the file, the more expensive the design will be.
- Try not to include “duplicate” lines that overlap completely.
- If your design includes cutting, thicker or denser materials will bring up the cost of the job.
- If you provide your own material, you will not be charged sales tax on your order.
Turn real objects into digital models with our 3D scanning capabilities! Digitize your cherished possessions or make digital copies of physical objects for use in 3D printing!
What can you do with MakersFactory 3D Scanning?
- Create high-detail 3D models of objects up to 6in in size
- Create 3D models of large objects (12 in or larger), such as people
- Combine 3D scanning and 3D printing to duplicate a physical object
What you need:
All 3D scanning jobs begin with a consultation, in-person or over the phone. Generally we must be able to examine the object to be duplicated in-person to determine the ease of scanning the object. Please send a quote request using our [get-a-quote] form to schedule a design consultation. You can also schedule consultation over the phone at (831) 621-0801 or by sending an email to [email@example.com].
Not all objects can be successfully laser-scanned. It may be more convenient to design the object from scratch using our Design Services. Objects which are too transparent or too reflective may not scan successfully. Objects with internal detail or intricate, thin parts may lose this detail after scanning.
Laser-scanning jobs are priced at $125.00 per hour, with a $50 job minimum. Payment is required upon delivery of the files in question. Submit a quote through our [get-a-quote] form to receive an estimate.
If our technicians are uncertain about the length of time that your laser-scanning job will require, we may ask you to provide payment in advance. If the design is finished with time to spare, you will be refunded the extra time. If the design remains unfinished after the initial paid time has run out, we will stop and consult with you before proceeding.
We don’t just make bits and pieces; we also design digital files for use with our fabrication services or a variety of other purposes. MakersFactory can help you realize your designs and ideas in the digital world, so that you can take part in the ongoing high-tech revolution!
-What can you create with MakersFactory Design Services?
- 3D models suitable for 3D-printing or rendering
- 2D designs for laser-cutting
- Other custom digital or high-tech creations
What do you need?
All design jobs begin with a consultation, either in-person or over the phone. Consultation is free up to the first 30 minutes. Please send a quote using our [get-a-quote] form to schedule a design consultation and provide all design materials. You can also schedule consultation over the phone at (831) 621-0801 or by sending an email to [firstname.lastname@example.org].
We design to your specifications; please make your design materials as specific as possible.
Design services are priced at $125.00 per hour, with a $50 job minimum. Payment is required upon delivery of the files in question. Submit a quote through our [get-a-quote] form to receive an estimate.
If our technicians are uncertain about the length of time that your design job will require, we may ask you to provide payment in advance. If the design is finished with time to spare, you will be refunded the extra time. If the design remains unfinished after the initial paid time has run out, we will stop and consult with you before proceeding.
If you want to be brought up to speed on design software or sharpen your skills, MakersFactory instructors can help you get there. We offer one-on-one or small group tutoring up to six students, on a subject of your choice.
What can I learn with MakersFactory Private Tutoring?
- 3D design software such as Blender, Rhinoceros, and Trimble SketchUp
- Adobe Illustrator
- Any previous or planned class curriculum
Build your own class, get a thorough MakersFactory tour, or arrange a custom event with MakersFactory instructors and technicians.
Past events have included:
- Tours for middle and high-school classes, including a presentation and a short activity
- Custom classes for field trips and birthday parties
- Company events / retreats / group tours
All private events cost $300.00 for up to 2 hours, including a 30 minute setup. After 2 hours, events are priced at $140 per hour. Send all private event inquiries to [email@example.com].